Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday the 13th (of December...)

December 13, 2013

Today is Friday the 13th. Of December, I'll grant you, but it is still a legitimate Friday the 13th. 

I've always had mixed feelings about superstitions and such things. Part of me (the part that loves to read fantasy books and was convinced that I was going to get a letter from Hogwarts) really wanted to believe in all of these superstitions. And part of me was the eternal skeptic who sat back with their arms crossed and scoffed. The end result was a child who decided to believe in her own superstitions, which included, but were not limited to, believing that a black cat crossing your path actually brought good luck (and how could they not, cats are adorable!). 

I mention this now not because I have had any encounters with black cats recently, but rather because I sat down to take my last final of the semester today only to have my professor go up to the board and write:


Today is Friday the 13th.
Good luck.

I thought this was a little mean-spirited. Especially when you are handing out an exam that was all short answer and essay-type questions and happened to be like six pages long. Just saying. All you gods of academia out there, you can be real turds sometimes. 

So happy Friday the 13th everyone. Hopefully all the vibes of cheer and goodwill from Thanksgiving and Christmas will have canceled out that unlucky Friday the 13th vibe and I will have passed my exam. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment