Saturday, December 14, 2013

On Religion and Zombies

December 14, 2013

So a while ago my roommate and I found a pamphlet underneath our door. It read:


Do you believe the dead can live again?

Would you say...
Yes?
No?
Maybe?

I later learned that it was a pamphlet from the LDS church promoting their faith and religion and other such things. Which makes sense, I suppose. I mean, the picture on the front had a couple standing together looking at pictures of their family on the wall, whom I assume are deceased and they miss greatly. However, I conveniently overlooked this subtle visual cue. So guess what I thought the pamphlet was for?

Zombies.

This isn't as strange as you would think it is. At school, there is an event that they put on twice a year where some people are designated as zombies and they ambush the "humans" around the school and turn them into zombies too. Last human standing wins. The event lasts for an entire week or so, and some people really get into it. Nerf guns. Camouflage clothing. Headbands reminiscent of Rambo. It's pretty awesome. So when I saw the pamphlet, I thought it was something like that. Oh no. Totally wrong.

It's kind of funny though, when you think about it. Here the purpose was to promote religion and my first thought was undead, decaying monsters. I wonder if that says something about me...

Anyways, I got such a kick out of it that I made some adjustments and taped the pamphlet to our door (partly because they kept coming back and giving us more pamphlets, and I wanted them to know that, yes, we DID get their pamphlet). It read something like this...

Do you believe the dead can live again?

Would you say...
(X)Yes?
No? 
Maybe? 

Zombies... Duh.

I am quite aware that this is not a high point on my road to maturity. So, I'll eventually take the pamphlet off the door. And then store it in a box so I can take it out years later, look at it, and chuckle a bit. Because even though I don't mean to be disrespectful to any religious folk out there trying to spread their beliefs, I still thought it was pretty dang funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment