Thursday, November 21, 2013

When You Feel Like Getting Dressed Up...

November 21, 2013

Today was one of my incredibly lazy days... I literally didn't wake up until after one in the afternoon. It's at times like these I am simultaneously frustrated and oddly proud of myself for acting like a normal college student. I don't know about you, oh audience of mine, but when I wake up that late in the day, it pretty much guarantees that I won't be getting anything productive done. And sure enough...

The funny thing about unproductive days is that as soon as you give yourself permission to get absolutely nothing done all day, you don't know what to do with yourself. I woke up after one, and by four I was laying in the middle of my living room staring at the ceiling saying to my roommate, "I don't even know how to begin..." The thing is, there are a hundred and one things I probably should be doing, and absolutely nothing that I want to be doing. Does this mean that I get the things done that I should be doing? Psshhh... Come on, do you even know me at all?

So what ended up happening was I watched a lot of The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, all while still in my pajamas, laying around the house, occasionally torturing my cat. And yet, I still wasn't quite happy. 

See the thing is, I have been craving Top Ramen all week long; I've been legitimately dreaming about it. So I decided that it was about time that I went to the store. But every girl knows that you can't just throw on a pair of pants and drive to the store. Oh no. If you're going to be out in public, you've got to put your face on. And for some strange reason, I was overcome with the irrational whimsy to go above and beyond simply putting my face on. This really didn't make much sense. I was only going to be in Safeway for a total of 15 minutes, tops. There was an almost 100% probability that I would see absolutely no one that I knew. And yet...

So this is me, going to Safeway at seven at night. Just picture it. I had my face on (mascara included, not just foundation and cover-up), a button-up dress, my nice down coat, my fancy boots and white tights. Yes. Tights. I don't think I've worn tights like these since Easter when I was like ten years old. I've been branching out in terms of clothing. I'll probably regret it looking back in ten years, but for the moment it makes me feel "oh-so-pretty." The crazy part of this entire thing? I still wasn't quite satisfied.

I have a theory, oh audience of mine. See, this entire lazy day, I wasn't quite happy when I was dressed down and still in my pajamas, yet I also wasn't quite happy when I was all dressed up. The time that I was happy? After going to the store and changing back into sweats after getting out of my cute button-up dress. I think it was the act of going from dressed-up to comfortable couch potato that let me truly relax. Isn't it strange how the process and transition of dressing up and down is more fulfilling than the actual outcome itself? 

Oh who are we kidding here? It was totally the Top Ramen. Best. Food. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment